Good Times at Smith's Ranch

About the Muralist
Dedication Date: March 23, 2002Location: Luckie Park Handball Courts

Entitled "Good Times at Smith's Ranch," the 19th historical mural honors homesteaders Bill & Thelma Smith and their pioneering accomplishment in the community of Twentynine Palms. Bill Smith, who arrived in 1923 in his Model-T Ford, developed the haven known as Smith's Ranch. Bill and his brother, Harry, drilled a well and provided water to early homesteaders, and Bill's shower, swimming pool, and shade trees were a welcome place to cool off on hot summer days. Bill married Thelma Mead in 1930, and the ambitious pioneer couple built an ice house, a dairy, an ice cream parlor, an outdoor theater, a recreational hall, and a trailer park on their property. They had six children and were acclaimed as the first homesteaders to have children born in Twentynine Palms. The mural was funded by the Smith family children and was painted by Twentynine Palms artist Tim O'Connor on the south-facing wall of the DiAntonio building, 6298 Adobe Road, which houses Wholesale Appliance and Country Corners Florist. Dedicated: October 19, 2002.

Any software, images, webpages, text, and other materials that are made available to use, view, or download from the http://www.oasisofmurals.com are the copyrighted work of Michael Collins or Vickie Waite or are public domain as noted and cannot be used without express permission of either Michael Collins or Vickie Waite..

COPYRIGHT NOTICE Copyright © 2005
Michael Collins, All rights reserved